Monday, July 28, 2008

Taking a risk

So, it's been over a year since I have posted anything. Honestly, once school started up, I didn't have time to breathe much less write a blog. And, I got a little stressed and overwhelmed trying to think up stuff to write. But that's silly. This is my space and it's all for me. I can write when I want and set it on the shelf when I am too busy.

It seems like years since I was inspired to dream. I think that my greatest aspiration was to marry and give birth. Once I accomplished those two goals, I was left in la-la-limbo-land. Recently through the world of blogs I have discovered little wishes bubbling up. Thanks to the amazingly creative Nester, I want to redo my nest. I also want to expand my cooking menu beyond meatloaf, tacos, spaghetti and lasagna. So, I've been spending time at A Year of CrockPotting. I haven't tried any of her recipes yet, but it does motivate me to gather up some courage and take a risk.

Risk taking. As a child, I took risks all the time and rarely considered possible outcomes. I saw a tree and knew that I could climb it. I looked at the high dive and never doubted I could leap off of it with everyone watching. But somewhere along the way, after falling from trees and enduring painful belly-flops, I stopped taking risks. After all, it's safer to stay on the ground or sit with my feet in the pool. Guess what...it's also safely BORING! And boring can be okay too, but after several years it's time for me to shake things up a bit. Because you never get to experience the bird's eye view or the tiny thrill of falling through the air, if you always play it safe.

1 comment:

Stephanie ODea said...

Hi Shannon,

thank you for mentioning my blog. It is hard to take risks, but I find when I do, it always pays off in one way or another. The first step is the hardest---but it's such a valuable thing to teach your children to hold your head up high, face the fear and do it anyway.
xox
steph